Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things



After building a new PC, there were a lot of "junk" utilities I got rid of. However I found there was 4 items I couldn't live without! lol I thought I would share them here.

1. Unlocker
Kills the annoying messages such as---
Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
Great little utility to UNLOCK files for deletion. Simply right-click.

2. Filetip
This is an older version but will still work on XP, and not to worry it's in English.

What it does---
Mouseover tootips for text files, executables, shortcuts, zip files, bitmaps (except JPG), icons, animated cursors, AVI files, and HTML files. I especially love this for Zip and .rar files to check content and size.
*note* You will need to enable "Show Pop-up description for folder and desktop items" in Control Panel-Folder Options/View.

3. PSP Thumbnail Handler
When viewing files on your computer with Windows Explorer's thumbnails view, this utility allows you to view thumbnails of Paint Shop Pro images even if you're a Photoshop user!

4. Read Only
Removes the "Read Only" attributes of any file. Super simple to install. Just download the file, unzip, and right click on the .inf file and select, "Install". It can be removed in Add/Remove.
I'm sorry that I can't remember where I got this, but I would not be without it. Simply right click on a folder to remove "Read Only".

No comments:

Post a Comment